Saturday, July 5, 2008

Brighton Up Your Day

So...obviously, today was our trip to Brighton.
I woke up and it was pouring rain.
You see, Brighton is "seaside" meaning its the only bit of summer fun we could have while we're here. And it was gray and gross out.

It takes nearly 2 hours to get there, though, and by the time we did, the sky was blue and clear and the sun was shining. It was still windy and slighty chilly, and I had no plans to swim or even sunbathe that much anyway, but it turned out to be a gorgeous day.

Being on the beach and the pier made me miss home A LOT. I thought about our day trip to Ocean City last year...and the many Hickory Run trips, and I can't WAIT for another round when I come home. It's hard not to think of all the stuff I want to do while my stay here in London winds down.
I know I may never come back here, so I obviously intend to live up these next two weeks.
But, I also love my home, miss my family and friends and American food so bad.
I like to look forward to things like Yong Hao, Hickory Run, Hometown Auction, and so on and so forth.

Here are some pictures from Brighton.
The pier.
The beach...no sand, just pebbles. Oddly comfortable, and better than the hot, messy sand situation.

The beautiful blue sky and water of the English Channel.

The waves on the pebbles.

Oddly enough, I fell asleep on those pebbles for a short while in the sun. I have to admit, they were more comfortable than my bed. Or maybe I was just that exhausted.

After the beach, we wandered around to look at the shops. Even though I saw a variety of stores, including ones with such names as Suck It and Sea and Red Mutha, I was actually quite unimpressed. Perhaps because it is very much like any other seaside town in the world.

We were set to see the Royal Pavilion around 3 PM. It's the seaside home of King George the IV? Anyway, it was all ornate and elaborate, for how it was restored. A lot of Asian pieces, cool dragon chandeliers and snake curtain holders...very strange. I kinda wished they had re-enactors in the house, all in costume, having a dinner party or dancing.

We couldn't take pictures inside, which is a shame because there were some interesting bits (delightfully tacky, the map told us), but here is the outside.


All in all, it was a good day. I got out of the house, which is always a plus, and saw some new things. Now its workin' time. We'll probably see a lecture tomorrow, and write some more of our papers. It's my last week of the internship...4 days only actually. And then I'm free on Thursday until our exam and presentation, which should be nothing in comparison to the paper itself.

I fear we're all getting a little too anxious about the paper. I don't think it has to be as rough as we make it out to be...but its all good anyway. I know I'll get it done, I'll do well, and I'll relax during the last 13 days I have left here.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Wow, I don't think Brighton has ever looked so good.