Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm alive!

I thought I'd get this thing started, so that some of you know I'm still alive and arrived in one piece.

Yes...I'm in the UK. In London.
But I'll be honest, it sure doesn't feel like it.
It's only my second day here, so obviously I can't see it all.
But it's nothing like I expected. I don't hear many British accents...or at least they don't catch me off guard. I thought I'd be swarmed and in awe of them.
I did a bit of shopping because I needed a few things, but sandwiched between every couple of stores is one of those lame souvenir shops that you can find in New York or Philadelphia or the boardwalk of any beach.
In fact, it looks like any other city, except with some odd stores and different prices.

The plane ride here was soooo uncomfortable.
I was excited that I could watch movies, but my flight was at 9:30 PM and landed 9:30 AM here.
Which means it really landed at 4:30 AM in your time, friends.
I didn't sleep...my legs were in major pain and my butt was numb.
I also sat next to a complete stranger lady who was a bitch.
She kept sleeping on my seat, and right away she put on the eye mask and played some weird techno song on her iPod that was either 3 hours long or she just realllllyyyyyy liked it.
I survived by eating their tiny organized plane meal, and watching Jumper and Juno.
I also watched some new Entourage episodes, but the second one got cut off because we were landing.

After the airport, we took a bus to our living situations and the ride disappointed me.
I swear, nothing looked British...except for the driving on the wrong side business.
I was sooo tired and my luggage weighs 72 pounds...72 pounds I had to hoist up about 9 flights of stares at my place.

Needless to say I was sore.
And homesick.
I can't lie...I miss the ease and convenience of being home.
My room is very empty and I share it with two roommates that aren't very much like me.
Everyone here is kind of a party animal...and to me, it seems immature and I always think they are younger than me.
I definitely eventually want to go to pubs, but hangovers on top of jet lag won't work for me.

Today was kinda cool. We had a bunch of orientation stuff and I learned where my internship is and when my interview is (Tomorrow, "midday"...7 AM your time PEOPLE!) and what I would be doing...News Room! How un-me is that? I hope it works out...and I hope I end up just getting coffee and making copies. I am not a news gal...and I barely know how to write for the radio.
If it doesn't work out, I apparently have no other options...comforting.

After that stuff, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral and walked up 434 stairs to the top...it was EXHAUSTING but worth it in the end, to see a view of London. Still no Big Ben...where the fuck is this thing?
I saw the tops of buildings being reworked and The Eye.
I don't know if I can afford all the traveling...which is why I wish the school had more tour programs for the weekends and such. How much money do they think I have?
I forgot to bring my camera today, which sucks, but I couldn't take pictures from inside the building, and the view was very hazy.

Which reminds me...the weather is soooo weird here.
It's definitely gray, and its sprinkled both days so far.
But one second I am like ice and the next I'm sweating.
Probably from all the walking. I need to learn appropriate dressing!

Oh well...that's all I got for now. Hopefully I'll have some pictures soon!
I miss you guys...I've seen a lot of look-alikes...and even though it's only been a couple days...it feels like forever. Especially since I'm posting this at 6 PM...and it's only 1 there. Daaaaang.
Love you, and I hope I have more interesting stories to tell you!!!

P.S. Here's a couple pictures of my room and the view.
P.P.S. How dull is the space?




No comments: